Thursday, July 16, 2015

Blogger Things: Tips & Tricks #1


First of all, sorry to my non bloggy friends. This post is for my fellow bloggers.
Last week, Mattie wrote a post about her blogfessions. This inspired me to share some of my own pet peeves, tips, and tricks. I'm a baby blogger too, so I think it is fun for all of us to share things we have learned along the way to help each other out. When I started writing this post I realized that I had a lot of things to talk about, so I'm going to break it up into a couple posts over the next few weeks. 

1. Open Links in New Tab
I get super frustrated when I'm reading someone's blog and I click on a link and then have to reopen up their blog page to finish reading the post. Often times, if I know the blog well, I can just right click on the link and choose "Open in new tab." But bloggers, you want people to stay on your page right? So we need to make it easier for them by having the links automatically open in new tabs. I won't name any names here, but some of my favorite people need to implement this immediately :):) Maybe this is just me being OCD. So how do you fix it? It is so easy!
1. From your blogger dashboard click on Template and then choose Edit HTML.
**I always backup my template before changing anything just to be safe.**
2. Search for <head>
3. Paste this code right below it:

<base target='_blank'/>


4. Push Save. That is all you have to do! Cool huh?


The only down side to that fix is that all internal blog links also open in a new tab. To combat that issue, you can use this coding instead (yes, you want to copy and paste the entire thing and save it right under <head>). If you don't mind or want to keep it simple, you can use the code above.


2. Bloglovin'
Some days I don't have time to sit in front of the computer and read all of the blog posts that I want to read. A lot of days I will read blog posts from my phone, which means that if you do not have Bloglovin' you might get missed that day! It is super easy to go in and claim your blog. And that makes it super easy for other people to read your posts too. 
Here is how you can claim your blog!
You can add me on bloglovin' here:

Follow

3. Planning ahead
Sometimes I'm really good about this, and other times I'm really not. How do I stay organized? I print a blank calendar each month (lately I have used these ones, but any will work) and start by filling it in with all of the link ups with specific topics that I would want to do. Then I brainstorm a list of other blog post ideas to fill in the others days that are open. Usually, I keep a note on my phone and when I think of a blog post idea I write it down there. So a lot of times I have some ideas already written down. I usually try to keep one day a week open so that if something comes up that I want to write about I have some room in the schedule. This makes it so much less stressful :) And I love being able to see the whole month on one page. Here is a quick example:

More to come next week. I didn't want to make the longest post of all time by sharing it all at once. I hope you are having a great week!

Linking up with Annie for Thoughts for Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. Great great tips lady!! I find I'm always learning new things everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about bloglovin through Mattie, I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks for sharing your tips, I love hearing how other bloggers navigate and do things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the link thing isn't me! I developed a habit years ago of just right clicking and opening a new tab, so I do it automatically when I read blogs. But when I put links in my posts I notice it defaults to have 'open in a new tab' checked (which I love). But one time I opened my links to edit them and it took away the check mark I guess...so now I ALWAYS double check to make sure it's set right because I know how annoying it is to click a link and be taken away from what you're reading/looking at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes to number one!!! It drives me crazy when links don't open in new tabs. I don't understand why this isn't just automatic in Blogger, so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oopsie! Guilty of number one! I really thought I had check boxed a place in the beginning to open in a new page. Not until your post did I go double check! Thank you!!! I've got it all fixed now (and, it's something that totally would drive me crazy!). Just shows you that we should check our blogs for little things every now and then! Thanks again! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome! Definitely need to try the link thing...so many things to learn!! Thanks for the start :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of having a link open to a new page...ooops. I always just press control and click the link which opens it to a new page. I'll have to install your coding to do that. Should this be the first head we find?

    I should check out the calendar thing, I'm usually horrible at remembering link ups. I remember them, but not all of the ones with a specific topic in mind.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete

Follow