Thursday, July 23, 2015

Blogger Things: Tips & Tricks #2


Today I'm going to continue with my list of blogger things that I have learned over the past few months. In case you missed it, you can find my first post here. Every time I read other posts like this, I always tend to learn something new. I hope you can learn from me too :)
4. iPhone blog "app"
This is probably my favorite bloggy thing ever. Okay this is really just an IOS blog icon, so I'm told. But Justin likes to say I made my own app. Which is funny, because it is really just a webpage. But it looks like an app. 

I saw this tutorial post from Biana at B Loved Boston way back in March. I pretty much thought it was the coolest thing ever and wanted to have it right away. It look me a little bit longer than I expected to get it right. But now, when someone asks how to I read your blog on my phone, I have a really easy answer:
1. Go into safari and type in betteroffbenedict.com 
2. When it loads click on the box with the up arrow at the bottom of the screen
3. Click the box with the plus sign in it that says "Add to Home Screen"
4. That's it! My blog will be an "app" on your iPhone. This makes it super easy for people to read along!
5. Font
I don't like it when it is really hard to read blogs that have teeny tiny fonts! You can easily change the size of your font in your template. If you just want to change the size of the font in each blog post, you can use this code:

<style>

.post {
    font-size: 14px;
}
</style>

You can go into the "HTML" tab of your post and paste this code at the very top. If you don't want to use 14 point font, just change the number :)

6. Search bar
A lot of times I will go back to a blog and try to find some old post that I read. Maybe it is because I want to link back to it or maybe it is because I want to try the recipe, or I need the shoes, etc. I go nuts when there is no search bar because that leaves me scrolling through SO many posts to find this one thing. I like to make it easy on everyone else and allow them to search. So how do you add a search bar? 
1. From your blogger dashboard click on Layout
2. Click on "Add a Gadget"
3. Choose Search Box
4. Add a title and choose your settings
5. Push save 
6. Move it to wherever you want it on your blog


Linking up with Annie for Thoughts for Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. This is great! Thanks for these tips. Sometimes it is SO easy to just write, write, write and not think about these details :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the font change so thank you for that! I'm so happy you like the "app" you created! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such awesome tips, keep 'em coming girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I love that app tip! I'm going to have to do that for the times I can't read on a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always worried my font is too small, but I don't want it to be too large either, because then I feel like it makes a post too long looking. And great idea on adding it to the homescreen. Although I'd feel I'd have too many homescreen apps, haha, so I stick mainly to bloglovin and my own blogger reading list to keep up.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your tips!!! Seriously, keep em' coming :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow