Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What I'm Reading: August Edition Part 1

This month I'm doing two book reviews because I cannot stop reading! Guess what? It is only August and I made it to my goal of 25 books! Yay :) I have never done that before. This blog really holds me accountable for my goals. Except maybe my July ones, which I failed at and haven't talked about. Anyway, on to the books...
#22 Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee
I knew this was an unedited version of this novel. However, I didn't like that it was somewhat all over the place. The story bounced around from the current life of Jean Louise to the flashbacks of her childhood. It was interesting, but it definitely wasn't amazing or anything. I feel like it is hard to talk about books that are supposed to be so great. It just frustrated me. I expected more I guess. I liked it, but in a different way than To Kill A Mockingbird. 

#23 The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand
I really loved this book. It doesn't seem like something that I would normally love. The main character reunites with her high school sweetheart who also happens to be the father of her child. There are all sorts of secrets and issues that come up along the way. She also happens to be some sort of magical matchmaker and has matched up 42 different couples. The daughter has some problems of her own and seems to be with the wrong person in her mothers eyes. I guess I didn't read the back of the book or anything before I started, so there were definitely some surprises thrown in there. I will be reading more of her books going forward. 

#24 Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

I didn't know what to expect from Sophie Kinsella's first Young Adult book. The writing style was similar to her other books. This book was a super quick read. It didn't take me long at all. The book was kind of predicable. However, having dealt with anxiety for so long, I found it really relatable. It is always interesting to me to read books where other people deal with anxiety. 

#25 The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard
Sara Shepard is so great when writing these mystery murder type stories that surround seemingly normal girls. I knew there were two books so far, but I expected some sort of ending from the first book. Very little was resolved. I cannot wait it get my hands on the next book. The girls all have their own story and it really draws you in. I'm definitely a YA nerd :)

You can check out the rest of the books I have read this year by clicking on the tab at the top!
As usual, linking up with Holly for Waiting On Wednesday.



12 comments:

  1. I think I might just have to add The Matchmaker to my never ending list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I didn't know Sophie Kinsella wrote a YA book, but would like to try it!! Also have had the Matchmaker on my list too ... I'm all for quick/fun reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all going on my "to buy" list pronto. You could totally click my link-up on my page. :) I'm so glad you're doing more than one a month, that's so much reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all going on my "to buy" list pronto. You could totally click my link-up on my page. :) I'm so glad you're doing more than one a month, that's so much reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you posted about this.....I was thinking about reading the new Harper Lee but was hesitant because I knew it was unedited. Also, can we talk about publishing someone's book once they have died?! What...I feel like Harper Lee would like approval first haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Elin Hilderbrand, Sophie Kinsella or Sara Shepard! I need to get on it. Isn't Sara Shepard the Pretty Little Liars book author?! If so, I want to read every single one of her books ASAP. Because I'm a loser obsessed with PLL the show. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Elin Hilderbrand and you can pretty much never go wrong with one of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on reaching your goal of 25 books already! That's awesome :) Can't wait to keep up with you and what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I'm always looking for books to add to my to read list!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished The Rumor by Erin Hildebrand...it was my first read of hers but it sure won't be the last! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Finding Audrey" is next on my list!! I didn't even know it was a YA book-- thanks for the heads up!! I was making a reading list the other day and realized there are (surprisingly) so many Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham books I have yet to read! Good thing they are all pretty quick reads. I just started reading "Luckiest Girl Alive" last night. I love that you keep your Shelfari updated and I can see what you're up to both on here and on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl - please forgive me! I've been terribly awful at catching up with my blog reading! Sure have missed catching up with you! Thank you for sharing at Waiting on...Wednesday! Hope to see you back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Follow