Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Tell Us About It: Favorite Holiday Traditions

I'm linking up with two of my favorite bloggers (and REAL LIFE FRIENDS!) Julie and Mattie. Today we are talking about our favorite holiday traditions :)

Life Saver Story Books
My mom has always given the kids life saver storybooks. When we were little they used to come with a tiny little storybook. Now they are just candy with games. Still to this day she buys them for all of the kids and it always makes me smile :) these were usually in our stocking.

Christmas Crackers (with Crowns)
During Christmas with Justin's family we always have these English crackers. It is something his family has done for a long time. Probably because we like doing English things to go with our English name :) After dinner all of the "kids" (aka 6 adults and one child) are given the crackers. We all open them and they are filled with little treats. Maybe candy or a little toy along with a paper crown that we wear.

Wrapping Presents
Instead of using tags for the to and from of each present, my mom will wrap all of the presents for each person in the same wrapping paper. This was so much fun when we were kids because she would always wrap them super early. My brother and I would shake them and try to decide which ones belonged to who. It was a fun guessing game until Christmas day when my mom would reveal which paper belonged to who. Now she does the same thing for me, Justin, my brother, his wife, and my niece. So cute! I want to do the same thing with my kids some day.

Christmas Eve Dinner with the Benedict Fam & Christmas morning with the Smith Fam
We try to split our holidays up as best we can when having parents in two different cities. It has started to become our tradition to do Christmas Eve with Justin's family and then drive up to Seattle and do Christmas morning with my family. It has worked out well so far, but this year we won't be able to do it because we both work on Christmas Eve :( So we normally have a big ham dinner with Justin's family that night and exchange gifts with all of them. Then we drive up to my parents and get in late. We wake up in the morning and do Christmas presents and breakfast with them.

Christmas Day Smith Party
Usually sometime in the afternoon we get together with my dads side of the family. It usually turns into all of us cousins talking about all of the things we have in common and also totally freaking our parents out about things we did when we were younger. It is always a fun time :)

We are both excited to create new traditions with our family in the future. I love when new traditions are born!!

P.S. Don't forget to link up with us tomorrow for Bookworm Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. Great traditions! Christmas traditions are my favorite :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little life saver books...that is so cute! And how fun that you didn't find out which wrapping paper was which until Christmas! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The different wrapping paper thing is genius! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm sorry you guys can't do your regular Christmas Eve with Justin's family. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I forgot to write that! My mom and dad do different colored wrapping paper for us too! I love it and have adopted it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again for linking up Katie Smith :) had so much fun meeting your parents tonight. It's no wonder you are so warm and sweet. See you tomorrow REAL LIFE FRIEND haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute traditions. I do the crackers with my class. They love the tiny surprises in them.

    ReplyDelete

Follow