Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Bookworm Wednesday #5 - December 2015 Reads

Woah, I have been gone for WAY TOO LONG friends. I'm so sorry for leaving you all hanging and not keeping up with life. My goal was to try and get back to it after the 1st of the year. Then I was sick all weekend and didn't prepare at all. Oops. I promise to try harder next week :) Here are my FINAL reads of 2015:

 #39 Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
This book was a bit depressing. It was really interesting and I couldn't put it down. I needed to know what happened and why and it did not disappoint, but it was very sad. I have this thing about sad books. Most of the time I like a happily ever after ending. However, I found that I wanted to learn more about all of the characters. I wanted to know why they acted the way they did. I was especially interested in the main character. The ending was good and it all came together really well. It is just a sad story!


 #40 Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
This isn't the normal type of book that I would pick up. First of all, it is really really short and you know how I hate trying to figure out what to read next. That can be avoided by choosing long books ;) duh! Okay so this book is really hard to follow. It is written like you are reading the main characters thoughts and they are random and all over the place. I mean, if people were trying to follow what happens in my brain all day it would be a hot mess too. The main story line is very simple and doesn't seem all that different from so many other books out there. The way it is written though is very artsy and different. While I didn't love this book, I'm glad that I was able to read something different. 

#41 Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
My friend Jess told me that I had to read this book. She doesn't normally disappoint with her recommendations so of course I picked it up right away. I thought this was a really good story. I enjoy reading books that have some sort of historical fiction piece to them and this one was really interesting. I had never really read about the orphan trains. The main character is easy to fall in love with and you just want her to have a happy life throughout the entire book. She goes through so many things early on in her life and then we get to see how her life ended up from her view as a ninety year old lady. The other main character is a teenager living in the present day who comes in contact with the old lady. It is a nice story and definitely held my attention!

Can we take a second to talk about the fact that I read FORTY ONE books in 2015? That is insane. I didn't think I would even be able to make it to 20. To be honest, I feel like this linkup makes me read more each month :) Next time I will start my new count for 2016. In the mean time, check out my tab at the top to check out all of my 2015 reads! While you are at it you better check out Molly's blog too because she is amazing for cohosting with me!


5 comments:

  1. Great picks. Glad you decided to continue this. I've been enjoying finding books to read and share. What time does your link up begin? It won't let me link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This link-up is making me want to read more every month so I have things to talk about. Thanks for co-hosting with me. Come back and blog already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read Luckiest Girl Alive! Although it does sound oh, so sad. Not sure I want that right now. I love historical fiction, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about Orphan Train and I've read both great and horrible reviews for Luckiest Girl Alive! Definitely want to read both though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Girlie...noticed you have been MIA...just wanted to let you know I miss your post. I'm so far behind so secretly I'm somewhat glad there was not alot to catch up on..haha. Seriously though hope all is well and just wanted you to know you crossed my mind today!

    ReplyDelete

Follow